Honey Smacks Cereal

They. Have. Toys. Honey Smacks Cereal is sweet tasting cereal with a definite wheat taste.

Honey Smacks is a sweetened puffed wheat cereal that was introduced by Kellogg’s in 1953. It was originally introduced as Sugar Smacks, in the 1980s the name was changed to Honey Smacks, and then in the 1990s the name was simplified to just Smacks. In 2004 the name reverted back to Honey Smacks, although in Mexico it is still known as Smak and in Europe has always been known as just Smacks.

Honey Smacks has a long history of various mascots. From 1953-1956 the mascot was Cliffy the Clown, 1957-1961 was a seal named Maxey, 1961-1965 was the Hanna-Barbera cartoon horse Quick Draw McGraw, 1965-1966 was The Smackin’ Bandit, 1967-1970 were the Smackin’ Brothers, 1970-1971 was an Indian Chief, and finally in 1972 was Dig’Em the Frog. Dig’Em has remained the mascot for Honey Smacks since 1972 with only one brief break in 1986 when he was replaced with Wally the Bear, and animal more closely associated with honey. In 1987 Dig’Em was brought back by popular demand and has remained the mascot since then.

Advertising for Honey Smacks has not always centered around their mascot. For a number of their earlier commercials they used live actors endorsing the cereal before turning to the more traditionally animation commercialism that were employed for cereals of the time.

Cereal Wednesday Bowls:

For more information you can visit the Kellogg’s Honey Smacks Cereal Product Page.

Comments

1. Poppy says:

I LOVE HONEY SMACKS!

I have earplugs in, will swing back around to watch the video late tomorrow.

2. Poppy says:

Err, late TODAY. sigh.

3. ozjthomas says:

I’m not too huge on either rice or wheat cereals, I usually prefer oat cereals or sometimes corn, so I never did like Smacks. It’s crazy to actually see a promotion, isn’t it.

4. Poppy says:

You have no idea how excited I got when I saw the toy fall into the bowl.

5. Poppy says:

“Be right back.” *giggle*

BTW, Honey Smacks make you pee smell like wheat. :D

Is Slim Jim sponsoring you, or is that accidental product placement?

Woohoo! One of my fav CWs.

6. Miss Ann Thrope says:

toyyyyzzzzzzzzz! wooo!

My sister always liked sugar smacks. I wasn’t crazy about them. I liked Rice Kringles which, like every other good thing, went away.

7. ozjthomas says:

lol, Poppy, I thought the same thing when I saw the Slim Jim on the desk,.

8. Poppy says:

And now that bees have forgotten how to dance this cereal will need to return to its proper name of Sugar Smacks. Yaaaaaay!

9. Miss Ann Thrope says:

They took the word ‘sugar’ out of almost all cereals…including corn pops. Those used to be sugar pops.

Apparently, mommies didn’t want to feed their kids thing with sugar in them and apparently they are dumb enough to buy the SAME cereal once that word was removed.

This was pretty much the beginning of stupidity in parenting.

10. Poppy says:

…which is funny, because when it started to be called Honey Smacks I was kinda (scared) to buy it because I like sugar, not honey. Now I know it’s just a marketing ploy and I’ll randomly buy the smacks of goodness. In fact, I really should just throw out all my other cereals and buy SUGAR Smacks.

11. Reese says:

Puffed Wheat , YEA ! I am a fan of Puffed grains in general. its “Healthy” yup yup, and these actually taste good.

12. I never liked Honey Smacks (Sugar Smacks) or Corn Pops (Sugar Pops). There’s something about the texture of both cereals that really bothered me even as a kid.

Geeky Tai-Tai’s last blog post..I Wanna Go Home… Kinda…Maybe After The Police & Santana’s Concert?

13. NYC Watchdog says:

Poppy- Slim Jim is not sponsoring me… that can is full of coins along with a juice jar. I will be sure to no longer have unintentional product placement in my videos. Funny though… everyone saw Slim Jim… but no one noticed the multiple Capri-Suns. And yes Poppy… it is a good cereal… and the fact they had a toy made it that much better.

Ozjthomas- Not so much crazy… but rare. Sadly it is very rare. I’m not a big wheat fan myself… but the Smacks I actually like. Must be the sugar honey.

Miss Ann- Its true… the best things do end up discarded it seems.

Reese- Well, its healthy to a point. Once you start adding in all the sugars and carbs and stuff… it may not be as good as you think it is… although it definitely is better than anything listed as organic, which has NO fortification of vitamins and minerals for your daily diet.

14. sxymom says:

Gheez had I known you’d get that excited over a toy, I’d manage to sneak one into every box for ya!

15. Dude, I didn’t know you moved Cereal Wednesday to this domain. Has it always been here? Or am I a total dork? I have been looking for them, and haven’t seen them in about two weeks, and thought you had dropped off the face of the earth!

The Absurdist’s last blog post..Public Service Announcement: You and Your Lymph System

16. Poppy says:

Abs, they’ve been here since this season kicked off. It was the big cliffhanger secret from last season. (Ok, not a secret, but coincided with the new season.)

17. Poppy says:

(I remembered something! Woot!)

18. Poppy says:

Ooops, wrong email addy. Hi. :D

19. God, I am such a dork. And yes, I am surprised you remembered something, considering you have short-term memory syndrome. I don’t know how you function during the day forgetting everything every five minutes!

I must have missed the announcement. I thought Watchdog had disappeared!

20. PS: Poppy, I liked the boob gravatar better. But not in that way.

21. Poppy says:

The boob gravatar is locally uploaded to Dawg’s other site for Dawg’s benefit. :D (There’s a story about why, but… heh, I FORGET.)

The Ripley avatar is the one hosted at gravatar.com.